CARES is a voluntary program that recognizes farmers and ranchers who use BMP (Best Management Practice) technologies and research to protect Florida’s natural resources. To be eligible for CARES recognition the following is required:
- A producer must sign a Letter of Intent with Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services’ (FDACS) Office of Agricultural Policy (OAWP) to implement Best Management Practices (BMPs).
- A producer must implement FDACS’ BMPs on their farm or ranch for 12- 16 months.
- An FDACS OAWP staff must verify the producer is properly following the prescribed BMPs.
- A producer must continue to maintain FDACS’ BMPs.
- A producer must be in good standing with the FDACS Implementation Assurance program.
If you are interested in becoming a farmer who CARES, contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Office of Agricultural Water Policy Field Staff.
If you are a FDACS staff member and would like to nominate a farmer who CARES, contact Cacee Hilliard for the password to the nomination form.
For more information on eligibility requirements contact Cacee Hilliard at (352) 374-1542 or firstname.lastname@example.org